Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Lost, episode 2x19: S.O.S.

Wow, good episode. It is late and I don't have time to browse the boards, but I will say for now that I did enjoy the episode. Here are some random thoughts (I'll add more later)...

* I loved the back story on Bernard and Rose, especially how we find out she had cancer and the island has cured her... and she knows about Locke's big wheelchair secret.

* This episode reminded me a lot of some of the Locke episodes (like Greater Good), where someone is doing something that others don't like or even know about, but the underlying reason they are doing it is with good intentions. Bernard runs people off with his dictatorial mission to build the sign, but he does it for Rose. Rose undermines Bernard, but it is because the island heals her and Locke. Everyone has their reasons, but everyone keeps secrets. Typical Lost.

* Interesting stuff about the faith healer in Australia and the magnetic energy source references.

* Locke has been frustrated by the island (trying to remember the map, questioning the buttons, etc.) and seems to give up, but after talking to Rose on the beach he returns to the hatch and starts smiling and drawing the map. To me it was obvious he'd made his peace with the Island and was once again listening to it and following its lead rather than trying to do it himself. Insert your favorite religious comparisons here.

* Kate finally tells Jack about finding that medical hatch and the costumes (fake beard, etc.) And we learn she has been holding out until Jack lets her back in the club.

* Michael is back! Or is it really Michael? Or is he "infected"? This could get interesting.

* Eko and Charlie are indeed building a church. I love Bernard's line to him about "I liked you better when you just walked around and hit people with your big stick".

* Sawyer asks where Jack got the gun. Some day everyone is going to connect Charlie to Sawyer's big con where they kidnapped Sun and got the guns, etc. And it is not going to be pretty.

* Nice shot by Jack to release them from the snare net. Of course, wouldn't it be easier to shoot the lines right above them?

* Henry is still very creepy. That smile he got when Locke was yelling at him about the buttons... eek. And the preview for upcoming episodes with him grabbing Ana Lucia and saying "You're the murderer" looks good. Who is he referring to? Goodwin? Shannon? The felon who shot her when she was a cop? All of the above?

* What about when Henry says "They'll never give up Walt"?

* Hey look... Vincent is back, too! Good doggie...

* Sawyerism of the night: "Here comes Dr. Giggles. Oh Happy Day."

More later... post away with your comments and observations!

5 Comments:

Blogger Slacker said...

The Entertainment Weekly and MSNBC recaps are out there now.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOST – S2-E18 – “S.O.S.” – Rose and Bernard-centric

Quotes:

1. “They’ve given up on getting rescued.” – Bernard to Rose
2. “Hey, are you gonna get that?” – Jack to Locke
3. “They’ll NEVER give you Walt.” – unHenry to Jack
4. “Can I buy you a cup of coffee?” – Rose to Bernard
5. “Nothing but fish and water.” – Hurley to Rose
6. “I’m not inviting you. I’m inviting Kate.” – Jack to Sawyer
7. “How the hell did you get a gun?” – Sawyer to Jack
8. “The only thing that you are doing is giving these people false hope.” – Rose to Bernard
9. “Bernard, I’m dying. I’m sick and I’m dying.” – Rose to Bernard
10. “You didn’t answer my question.” – Bernard to Rose
11. “I’m trying to get people saved!” – Bernard to Mr. Eko
12. “I think I liked you better when you just hit people with your stick.” – Bernard to Mr. Eko
13. “The gun is with Jack. The door stays closed.” – Ana-Lucia to Locke
14. “Dude, we’re going to need a lot more rocks.” – Hurley to Bernard
15. “Rome wasn’t built in a day, you know?” – Bernard to Jin
16. “Bernard, you brought me to a faith healer?” – Rose to Bernard
17. “I didn’t ASK for this!” – Rose to Bernard
18. “You got trouble down at the factory, Norma Rae?” – Sawyer to Bernard
19. “I say PASS-adena.” – Sawyer to Bernard
20. “I asked Sayid but he turned me down.” – Jack to Kate
21. “Damaged goods, both of us.” Kate to Jack
22. “We’ll still have 13 more to kill each other with.” – Jack to Kate
23. “I want Rose home!” – Bernard to Jin
24. “You’re in my spot.” – Locke to Rose
25. “That man doesn’t know the difference between an errand and a fool’s errand.” Rose to Locke
26. “I’m done with the hatch.” – Locke to Rose
27. “Honey, you and I both know it’s not going to take that long.” – Rose to Locke
28. “There’re certain places on Earth with great energy.” Isaac to Rose
29. “Where is the right place?” – Rose to Isaac
30. “I’m going to tell him that you fixed me.” – Rose to Isaac
31. “I’ll be right here until you come to talk to me!” – Jack to Others
32. “Bernard, he didn’t heal me. But that doesn’t mean that I’m not healed.” – Rose to Bernard
33. “I just needed to stretch my legs.” – Locke to Ana-Lucia
34. “I’m sorry I kissed you.” – Kate to Jack
35. “I’m not.” – Jack to Kate

Random Thoughts (Flashback events):
1. I thought that the license plate said New York (but I could be wrong). Rose hesitated before asking Bernard for a cup of coffee. Either she was just shy or that she already knew that she had cancer and didn’t know if she wanted to maybe start a new relationship.
2. The restaurant at Niagara Falls was on the American side. Bernard is 56 years old and he and Rose have been dating for 5 months.
3. Were there any island connections to the pictures on the wall at Isaac’s place? Some have said that Zeke appears in one of the pictures. Don’t know but it reminded me of “The Usual Suspects.”
4. Isaac mentioned magnetics which has been mentioned by several people on the island (and even in the film). There actually is an island off the coast of Australia called Magnetic Island.
5. Nice scene between Rose and Locke in the airport. I kept looking around in the background for other familiar faces but I didn’t see any.

Random Thoughts (Island events):
1. Bernard spent 7 weeks on the other side of the island (which we already knew from the episode ‘The Other 48 Days’).
2. unHenry hasn’t had food or water for 2 days.
3. Eko and Charlie are building a church. It will be interesting to see if more people start associating with Charlie after the whole Claire / Aaron episode.
4. Now Sawyer knows that Jack has a gun. Will he figure out that it had to come from Charlie? Also, will Ana-Lucia, Sayid (where was he, by the way) or Jack figure out that Charlie must have gotten the gun from Sawyer?
5. There were 15 people helping with the sign, then dwindled to 4, then to 2 (Bernard and Jin).
6. Jack is a pretty good shot to shoot a rope like that.
7. Very nice “knowing” scene between Locke and Rose on the beach.
8. Jack and Kate in the jungle and it starts to RAIN!!! You know something BIG is about to happen.
9. It was great to see Michael again. It’s been way too long for him to be away from the show. I hope that he has a great story to share.
10. Vincent is alive and well and has found a new friend in Sawyer.

Previews for next week:
1. Looks like Michael tells the group that the Others are barely armed and that they could be overtaken in order to get Walt. Also, it looks like there is a fight between Ana-Lucia and unHenry.
2. We have to wait 3 weeks (!) for a new episode. Next week is Alias and then there will be a recap episode. Here is the schedule for next few weeks:

Ugh - two weeks of reruns!
May 3, 2006: Two for the Road
May 10, 2006: ? (that's the actual title)
Ugh - another week of reruns!
May 24, 2006: Lost

Saywerisms - Here are some of the nicknames that Sawyer used:
Referring to Jack – “Dr. Giggles”
Referring to Bernard – “Norma Rae”

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About this hunger strike by unHenry. Why is he doing it? Perhaps he is protesting his treatment. Odd that his hunger strike begins just when a whole lot of food arrives.

It was great to hear Bernard ask where all the food came from. Finally what we have all been saying. Now nobody actually saw the food drop. Nobody heard a plane and that leaves a balloon perhaps that dropped the food but what if the food was not dropped at all? What if a group carried it in and made it look like it was dropped? It would explain the lockdown much better because in a balloon or plane the droppers are way up in the sky and thus would have more distance from the hatch workers whereas if they actually have to walk there and drop off the food they would want them in lockdown so that they would not actually have to come in physical contact with them. That makes so much more sense. So why the ruse? Because they want the hatch participants to think that someone from the outside world is bringing in the food when actually it is being brought in by folks right on the island. The carrot and green beans cans shown in the opening sequence have the same serial number

D1 9FFTR731

The camera gave you a really good look at this serial number as if to say notice me I am important! Ok guys I am watching but I do not see the significance. There are no Hurley numbers here. The D I assume means DHARMA.

The song playing on the radio when Rose and Bernard met was by musician Otis Redding. Later the song playing in the hatch was also by Otis Redding. Coincidence? Also Otis died in a plane crash in 1967.

http://www.otisredding.com/

Of course now I'm worried for Bernard and Rose. It seems once you've "resolved" whatever the underlying problems were that brought you to the island to begin with, they kill you off.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

I loved this episode- they are definitely gearing up for a great cliff hanger to end the season. I also have to mention that I loved the Jack and Kate scenes this week, in addition to the great Bernard/Rose storyline.

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that this is a LOST blog, but this is somehow related. I was watching American Idol last night and when they showed Ace with his suit and slicked back hair, I thought to myself "What is Jack doing on American Idol?" Just struck me as a match.

One true LOST note: I read somewhere that the 2-hour finale will be really good and someone we haven't seen in a while will be coming back. And it's someone that wasn't in Season 1. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but I can't wait.

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home