Thursday, September 07, 2006

Lucky to be alive!

Who says you have to be in New York City to have crazy cab drivers?! Attached is the security video from a near miss with a taxi at my office on Tuesday at lunchtime. This will certainly make me think twice about walking to lunch again for a while!

In the video you'll see a guy standing outside waiting (there are actually two other guys with him offscreen). The first taxi pulls in and you'll then see me walk out the side door, followed by my coworkers (5 others were with me).

The 2nd taxi then pulls in too fast (he probably was mad the other cab got there first), so he clips the curb, overcorrects the steering, then he hits the gas instead of the brakes. He heads right at the group of people, I barely step back out of his way. It then hits the first cab and the back end whips out at hits the wall literally one foot away from where I was standing. I stand there visibly stunned, but barely grazed.

It was a real blessing noone was badly hurt or killed. My guardian angel worked overtime for me that day!

The funniest part (finding humor in a near-tragic situation), is watching the third cab pull up, the driver gets out and opens the sliding door and back hatch, then walks up to the stunned crowd to solicit their business. Must be a competitive business!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jacinda said...

Wow! I followed over from Kristen's blog. God was surely watching over you!

5:37 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Oh Kevin!! Even though I knew that you were okay my heart still skipped a beat watching the video. The Lord and his angels are very good:) We are so thankful that you are okay. Looks like you have some very caring co-workers.

I would love to know if the cab driver that nearly injured you had anything to say. Crazy guy!!

8:41 AM  
Blogger lauren said...

Such a blessing. I commented on Kristen's that you should send that in to the Today Show. I watched it again, and I realized that if you hadn't held the door for those people, it would have gotten you! It pays to be nice!

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin,

Alyssa told me the other day that this had happened. But, until you see the video you don't realize what a seriously close call this was. I am so thankful that you were not another foot over. Thank God for his guardian angels!!! On a lighter note, I am becoming a HUGE Youtube fan, and my first thought when I heard you had the video is that you need to put it on Youtube - but of course you are always one step ahead of me technologically!! Take care!

8:37 PM  
Blogger The Daily Planet said...

WOW! Glad to know you are Okay.

Looking forward to another great College/NFL football season. Who do you pick tonight OSU? Only Kidding!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Man, I am so glad you are okay. Only you and Kristen would put that on youtube!

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! this is crazy! I cannot believe how close this was, and that you got the footage of it, too!
Glad you're ok!

7:51 AM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

Somehow my boys have figured out how to get on your blog and they check the video all the time! They think it so so cool. Yes, you are quite the celebrity to my boys!

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home